Pentaglobin® is the world's first and only IgM-enriched intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIGMA) preparation. Owing to its IgM content, Pentaglobin® is unique in the elimination of infectious pathogens and neutralization of their endo- and exotoxins, far superior to normal IgG preparations (IVIG). The safety of the virus is validated in accordance with the guidelines of the Commission of the European Community, and the registered indications of Pentaglobin® include:
- As an adjuvant treatment of bacterial infections in concomitant with antibiotics, especially in sepsis caused by gram-positive, gram-negative bacteria and their toxins.
- Immunoglobulin substitution in immunosuppressed patients and severe secondary antibody deficiency syndrome.
However, Pentaglobin® has been off-labelly used in a variety of indications, including:
- Treatment of bacterial-induced severe sepsis and early septic shock
- Treatment of sepsis in premature infants and neonates
- Prophylaxis of infection in cardiac surgical patients at high risk of infection
- Adjuvant therapy for steroid-resistant SARS
In summary, Pentaglobin® is an excellent additional tool for clinicians who are fighting against diseases with prominent inflammatory and autoimmune features, such as bacterial-induced severe sepsis and septic shock. It works additionally to standard sepsis therapy, and especially with beta-lactamase antibiotics.
For more information:
Please refer to the full prescribing information for more details.